Dive into the Archives
10 Ways to Enjoy a Budget-Friendly Summer Vacation in Shakopee
With free and budget-friendly attractions, special promotions, and dining deals, a vacation in Shakopee offers lots of fun for a great value.
Free and budget-friendly attractions
- Rhythm on the Rails is a free outdoor concert series in downtown Shakopee featuring regional headliners and local opening acts. Upcoming dates are July 13, 20, and 27 and August 3, with the concert running from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. In addition to music, there’s a kid zone with free family-friendly games and activities.
- The Landing is an outdoor heritage park with historic buildings from the 19th century. Buildings are arranged on a timeline so that visitors can learn how Minnesotans lived on the frontier, in farmsteads, and in villages. Access to the Landing is free, and guided tours, kids’ programs, and other activities are available for a modest fee (check out the schedule here). Expect to walk about one to two miles to experience the site via a self-guided tour, as well as scenic views of the Minnesota River.
- The Huber Park Performance and Event Series offers fun, free family entertainment in a beautiful riverside setting all summer long. Upcoming events include jazz music, a preview performance of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and a movie in the park. The full schedule is available here.
- The Scott County Historical Society features rotating exhibits about local history, a historic home, and programming for all ages. Admission to the museum is $4 for adults, $2 for students, and free of charge for children under 5. Kids’ craft activities are free, with registration required (upcoming kids craft days are scheduled for July 9, 2022 and August 20, 2022).
- The Valleyfair free Pre-K pass gives free admission to children ages 3 to 5 years old, all season long. Simply register online and then bring your child and a proof of age (original or copy of a birth certificate or passport) to Valleyfair to activate the pass. Parents and older siblings can save with a Valleyfair season pass, which includes unlimited park visits, free parking, food discounts, and more.
- Every Wednesday is $5 night at Canterbury Park, with $5 admission to see live horse racing and $5 tap beer specials.
- Buy Minnesota Renaissance Festival tickets in advance for a $3 discount on adult tickets and a $2.45 discount on child tickets. Other deals include season and weekend passes and a family pack with two adult and two child admission tickets.
- SandVenture Aquatic Park offers a twilight rate after 5:00 p.m., with a $2 discount on admission. You can also save with a punch card or season pass.
- Enjoy discounted brews during happy hour at Shakopee Brewhall (Sunday 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. and Thursday 8:00 to 10:00 p.m.) and Badger Hill Brewing (Sunday through Tuesday from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.)
- Local favorite Turtle’s Bar & Grill serves a $8.99 lunch menu weekdays from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Pick from burgers, sandwiches, salads, personal-sized pizzas, and more.
Shakopee is a perfect destination for a budget-friendly vacation! Shakopee is home to Valleyfair, Canterbury Park, and the Minnesota Renaissance Festival, and is conveniently located to area attractions including Mystic Lake Casino, the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum, and Chanhassen Dinner Theater.